Welcome back to our advent calendar. Todays treat is a fun salt dough tutorial I put toghether with my daughters for UK Handmade last year. This is a great project to make some extra decorations or name tags for the dinner table during your festive celebrations.
1 cup plain flour
½ cup salt
½ cup water
This recipe makes approximately 10 shapes
1. Put flour and salt into a bowl and add water slowly.
2. Knead for about ten minutes to form a soft pliable ball.
3. If dough is too crumbly add a little more water, if the dough is too sticky add a little more flour.
4. Roll the ball of dough out to about 1-2 cm thickness on a lightly floured board.
5. Cut shapes using biscuit cutters and place onto a sheet of greaseproof paper. Remember to put a small hole into the top of each shape if you wish to hang these shapes onto the Christmas tree.
6. Place the sheet of greaseproof paper onto a microwavable plate.
7. Place the plate of salt dough shapes into the microwave on a medium high heat for 2-3 minutes until the shapes have hardened. You can also cook them on a low heat for about 90 minutes in the oven.
8. Leave the salt dough shapes to cool.
9. Once cooled decorate the shapes with paint and glitter glue,most paints can be used but I use acrylics. Coat the painted shapes with a clear varnish for them to last for next year too!